Susanna Barrett, whose daughter appeared on Toddlers &Tiaras, recently filed a $30 million lawsuit against TMZ and other news outlets for featuring a video montage that she felt "sexualized" her five-year old. In the video, her daughter Isabella is seen performing to LMFAO's song "Sexy And I Know It." While many parents surely understand Susanna's reason for this specific suit, many also find fault with an entire entertainment industry that exploits girls, and with networks like TLC that glamorize the childhood pageant world.
Others simply wonder why mothers would expose their children to the pageant world in the first place.
Such outrage is also increasingly directed at clothing labels, which sell shirts for young girls that include slogans like "scratch and sniff" or "so many boys, so little time".
So how can parents protect their children from a culture that exploits them at such early ages? And how can they teach them to stand up for themselves and resist such influences?
Dr. Tim Kimmel -- author and Executive Director of Family Matters (familymatters.net) -- has answers. Considered one of America's top advocates for the family, Tim has written multiple best-selling books
on parenting, including "Raising Kids for True Greatness". He has strong views on why it's critical that parents work to protect their children: "We need to draw up new battle plans." says Kimmel. "We
fought for their intellect. We fought for their paychecks. Maybe it's time we fight for their souls."
Tim talks about why the pageant and music industries often get away with exploiting young women; why it's important to take a stand as a parent against degrading slogans on girls' clothing; how parents can approach these topics with their daughters; and why fighting for girls' dignity is just as important as is fighting for education and work opportunities.
Saturday, May 19, 2012
GuestMatch is Free, Easy To Use, Searchable By Topic
Media professionals across North America are using the new www.guestmatch.com as a quick and easy resource when searching for interview guests, story sources and experts in a variety of topics.
GuestMatch.com features on-line media kits for hundreds of expert sources in all fields, and includes backgrounders, hi res photos, video and audio samples and best of all, direct contact phone numbers and email addresses for each GuestMatch member.
In addition to a search feature that allows media members to sort both by topic, name, program idea and area of expertise, the GuestMatch.com service also offers free telephone support for media outlets who can't find the expert, source or interview guest they need, even on short notice.
Here are just a few of the GuestMatch media interview guests available this week:
* America's Got Talent reigning champion Landau Eugene Murphy Jr. on going from washing cars to Hollywood stars and selling out The Apollo Theatre
* 5 Ways To Stop Stress Before It Happens with Dr. Rob Pennington
* Learn How To Increase Your Chances of Winning The Lottery with 7 Time Lottery Game Grand Prize Winner Richard Lustig (as seen on CNN, GMA, Fox, MSNBC, The Today Show, etc.)
* How to afford college AND plan for retirement by age 55 with financial guru Mark Singer
* Former NASA astronaut trainer and "October Sky/Rocket Boys" author Homer Hickam on the end of the shuttle era, mining on the moon and his new best seller CRATER
* Thriller writer Robert Liparulo on incorporating religion into his new action packed page turner THE 13TH TRIBE